Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Preliminary Drawing & Color Study


Here are the images of a preliminary drawing and color study for my upcoming piece titled “Summer Days 2”.




I felt the drawing was a bit over-rendered, since its primary purpose was for the painting.  But this time, I felt inspired to do a full rendition.  I don’t think it’s a loss by any means. (If I solved more problems in the drawing stage, I would be a step ahead of the game.)

I’m also pleased with the color study I did.  Each time I do it, I’m grasping the concept of this exercise better and better.  It is not a process for detailed rendering or finding to develop small forms.  It’s an exercise to identify the overall color and value relationships of the piece.  Therefore, it is best to execute this process with bold brush strokes and in an abstract manner.

No comments: